Friday 1 January 2021

Off to the Woods on New Year's Day with my Macro Lens - Hardwick Wood

The inedible fungus Daldinia concentrica is known by several common names, including King Alfred's cake, cramp balls, and coal fungus.  I have never seen this fungi before.  King Alfred’s cakes are named after the king’s poor baking skills. I remembered this story from my Junior days but never imagine I would see King Alfred's cakes!

This fungi does rot away quickly but can remain on deadwood for years and is probably why I found it in this ancient wood.

Gills/spores: inside, the flesh is hard and a cross-section shows concentric zones of grey and black. Spores are released from the outer surface of the fungus through perithecia (small beak-like holes), leaving a darker area on the surrounding wood. Cells inside the fruit body eject the spores beyond the edge of the stroma, leaving a black spore print up to 3cm wide around the fungus.

Cap: round or cushion-shaped, 2–10 cm across and formally referred to as stroma. Matt, pinkish-brown when young, becoming black and shiny with a ‘burnt’ appearance as they age. The outer shell cracks easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment