Saturday 20 September 2014

Sligachan Bridge, Isle of Skye


Sligachan is situated at the junction of the roads from PortreeDunvegan and Broadford. The Sligachan hotel was built in around 1830 at this road junction. Many early climbers chose this as a spot to start ascents of the Cuillin.  I have not found out where the popular route starts today.  It is said, that  in 1395 the Lord of the Isles attached Skye, but William MacLeod met the MacDonalds at Sligachan and drove them back to Loch Eynort (Ainort). There they found that their galleys had been moved offshore by the MacAskills, and every invader was killed. Well, I found this interested as I met Lord McDonald and Clare McDonald (Winning cook, food writer and author  of many cook books) at New Market "Presents Galore " Christmas event where I bought my best ever pepper grounder from Lord Mc Donald.  He was right it is a great piece of kit!  http://www.kinloch-lodge.co.uk/clairemacdonald.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment